After a 56-day trial, including two weeks of deliberation, jurors delivered their verdict in the capital murder trial of late-term abortionist Kermit Gosnell.
Guilty of three counts of first degree murder for killing babies born alive and guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the botched abortion of Karnamaya Mongar. Gosnell was also convicted of hundreds of lesser charges.
In a plea bargain with prosecutors, there will be no appeal. The 72-year-old Gosnell has been sentenced to serve three life sentences without parole.
Because the grisly facts of this case did not advance the "pro-choice" narrative, major news outlets throughout America purposely ignored the trial for months.
As the Gosnell case comes to a close, I want to deal with three "tips" in this month's newsletter. Brace yourself! I'm going to tell you the truth—no holds barred.
The TIP of the iceberg
Kermit Gosnell and his murderous crew are now permanently off the streets of Philadelphia. But, tragically, Gosnell is just the tip of the iceberg.
There are abortionists all across the country who are following in Kermit Gosnell's footsteps. They are actively engaged in what's now being referred to as "born alive" abortion. The technical term is infanticide. The abortionist forces a fully-developed child to a premature birth and then brutally murders the baby outside the womb.
There's a federal law against such things. In addition many states, including Michigan, have passed specific legislation to protect a child once he or she emerges from the womb. But the abortion industry has never let the law stand in their way of a relentless pursuit of the almighty dollar.
Here are just a few contemporary examples of "born alive" abortion:
• Abortionists in Washington, D.C., New York, and Arizona have recently been caught live on film admitting that they will leave a baby to die if born alive. In yet another video, infamous late-term abortionist Leroy Carhart likened the dying child in the womb to "meat in a crock-pot."
• Abortion personnel in Florida sealed a newborn baby girl in a red plastic biohazard bag, then threw her lifeless body on the roof of the clinic to hide their crime from authorities. When the baby was finally discovered, she was badly decomposed, discolored and infested with maggots.
• An eyewitness saw Shelley Sella, a late-term abortionist from New Mexico, stab a baby to death who was born alive during an abortion.
• Live on film, you can hear an abortion nurse describe how her boss would twist a baby's head off its neck "with his own bare hands." Or if he found it more convenient, he would stick his finger down the throat of the child.
I have seen it all: strangulation, drowning, suffocation, and/or bludgeoning. The list of atrocities goes on and on. But here's the point—infanticide is a daily practice in the abortion industry. It must be stopped:
• Even though the Gosnell case was the highest profile event in 40 years, only about one in ten Americans is aware of what went down in Philadelphia. We must continue to sound the alarm from the rooftops.
• We must continue to warn women of the danger that awaits them behind closed clinic doors.
• We need to continue to pass prolife laws. Across the country, more than 600 bills to protect women and tighten oversight in the abortion industry were proposed in the first quarter of this year alone. But we also must enforce the laws that are already on the books.
• This is an industry that bends and breaks the law by its very nature. We must regulate and inspect these clinics on a routine basis.
Kermit Gosnell is just the tip of the iceberg!
A TIPping point
Did you know that when the Gosnell case first broke, many people visited Snopes.com (urban legend and misinformation detection website) because they couldn't believe what they were reading! They went to Snopes.com to see if Gosnell's "house of horrors" could possibly be a real place.
We must continue to keep the discussion of infanticide alive. For many, it will be a "tipping point" which brings them to a prolife position.
The unspeakable atrocities in the Gosnell case and the reality of infanticide in America are an opportunity for us to begin a brand new discussion with our fellow citizens.
Once we get their attention, we can begin to make the case for unborn children starting with late-term abortion and working backwards to the moment of conception. As we go, we'll re-establish the sanctity of human life. Think about this for a moment:
If Kermit Gosnell had successfully destroyed these children inside the womb, he would have never been convicted of first degree murder. He would have simply been an abortionist doing what he was paid to do.
The difference? An eight-inch journey down the birth canal. That's it. In the womb, you're fair game. You travel just eight inches, suddenly you're a human being.
That's insane. You know it. And I know it. Now our job is to reach out to our family, our friends, our neighbors, folks at our church, and our community at large.
Where you are has absolutely nothing to do with who you are.
When we present the facts, with love and logic, we will move people firmly into the prolife camp! Gosnell and "born alive" abortion is a tipping point that will help make that conversation possible.
One last TIP
If you want to impact our wayward culture, if you want to move public opinion and usher in a new awareness of abortion-on-demand, I have a tip for you:
Please make a generous donation to support our many educational and legislative efforts. You cannot make a better investment in this lifesaving cause.
For last month's feature about the Gosnell case, click here.